Wednesday 1 December 2010

Bringing the Noise - DIY Microphone

So after chasing around for that down and dirty blues sound a la Jack White, and seeing some of the interesting microphones he used, I decided to make my own out of an old telephone, a guitar cable and a 'choc block' (in the absence of a soldering iron). An hour later and I ended up with this:


It's capable of some pretty epic feedback, and I haven't tried singing with it yet, but it has that lo-fi easy to drive sound that should be absolutely primo for some desperate sounding blues or old-school punk. Let me know what you think.

By the way, the total cost of this was £1 (I was given the phone and the cable was lying around the house). Not bad, all told. As it stands, this is pretty much the extent of my electrical 'knowledge', as opposed to my brother, who to my eternal pride is now a fully qualified helicopter-fixer-guy. He probably would've made this video with less feedback, anyway :)

In other news, apologies for the beard. It was a dare.

No comments:

Post a Comment